Tuesday, September 3, 2013

This... THIS... Is what I'm talking about!

I found this page, accidentally, through pinterest.com and now that I'm reading it... I am realizing (even more than before), that this REALLY resonates with me. Look at what this guy is saying.

"There are times I’ve thought about getting a “real” job long enough to earn enough to hire someone with a dozer to come clear and level a few acres of our property for a larger garden and hay meadow. He could get more done in two days than I could in a month of hard labor.
If I got a job, I could make about $15 an hour. By the time taxes andSocial Security are deducted, I’m making about $12 per hour. Plus there’s the driving time, which in our area would be about 90 minutes each way. Now figure in gasoline to drive to work, which at current rates will be around $120 per week minimum. I’m making about $480 per week take-home pay and spending $120 per week of that for fuel, which leaves me $360 for my effort. But remember, not only am I working 40 hours a week, I’m spending another 15 hours in travel time, plus losing another five hours per week due to the hour allotted for lunch. My job is eating up 70 hours of my time each week, and after taxes and fuel I’m “making” roughly $5.14 per hour of effort expended. (Remember, the government is taking $3 per hour right off the top before I see any of it.)
Now out of that I’ll have extra maintenance on my vehicle, plus the eventual replacement cost since it’s going to wear out much faster and we’ll have to pay insurance on an extra vehicle since my wife will need a licensed and insured vehicle while I’m at work. Since I’m in town every day, we’ll spend more for things we wouldn’t normally have purchased. So let’s pretend I’ll end up with an extra $150 per week to hire a dozer and operator to clear five acres of land. He’s going to charge me $100 per hour, and it will take him about 15 hours to clear and level that five acres. His fee is going to be $1,500. Now do the math. I have $150 per week to applytoward his work, so it’s going to take me 10 weeks to save enough to pay him. In that 10 weeks, I’ll have devoted 700 hours of my time to pay him for 15 hours of work. It would take me about 350 hours to clear and level that five acres by hand. Also, if I do it myself, I won’t be paying $1,200 to the government in taxes and another $1,200 to the gas station, and I won’t be insuring, maintaining, and replacing another vehicle.
The key here is that I’m not going to do it all at one time. In fact, it might take me a couple of years while devoting a few hours per day to the project, but that’s okay. There’s no rush, and I’d rather take the extra timeworking at home than spend it in the city breathing polluted air, putting up with the constant noise, enduring the harried atmosphere, and supporting the government, insurance companies, and oil industry. I’ve done enough of that in my life already. I’ve paid the price of convenience, and it cost too much." -- http://www.grit.com   

I'm sure you just skimmed through that. STOP... Now go back and really READ it. Think about it. Add it up. Doesn't it make SO much sense? No no... Think about it logically. It does. It makes total sense. Ok so, now the result of his hard work... Check this out. 

"If it takes me 50 hours a week to provide those things, I’m still “working” 20 hours less per week than I was before, and we end up with two or three months of vacation time every year to spend wherever we want to be."

They get to take a COUPLE month long vacation... Really? So wait... you're telling me, that if I work, at my own homestead, I get to actually reap the direct reward of my OWN labor, see the progress of my hard work, and feel accomplished at the end of the season or hell... even the end of the day? Wait... and THEN... if I work really hard, I can even get a month long vacation? This sounds like freaking paradise to me. I don't have to drive to a place I hate, to spend all day with a bunch of people that I can't stand, doing something that is super unsatisfactory, so I can pay more money to upkeep the job, the cars, the clothes, just to help someone else create THEIR dream, while still literally only dreaming about mine. 
This right here... this is me now. Except the last sentence. But it will... It will be me. 

"The irony of the situation is that I used to work my regular job, then come home and work in my garden, pick huckleberries, and go hunting, fishing and trapping for fun. Now I get up every morning and do the things I’ve always truly enjoyed doing." 

Love, 

Tandiey

No comments:

Post a Comment